The role of the publisher has changed many times since the beginning of their established role.
This is my view of what a publisher does for the writer
- Solve all problems
- Be there when the writer needs them
- Smile no matter what
- Believe in them when they do not
- Console them when they have an “I don’t know what happens next” day.
- Do not criticize their choice of a cover design, we will work it out
- Be patient and understanding at all times
- Always tell them they can do it, because they can
- Do not laugh at them when they are serious
- Present them with a finished book they can be proud of